Thursday, November 11, 2010

Internet Safety

When I think of helping my students be safe on the internet at school and at home, my first thought is to teach them about internet safety.  I would teach them some of the dangers about putting personal information online.  I understand that most of kids now already have Facebook pages and Myspaces, so I would help them understand the need to keep things private.

The school itself will most likely have blocked websites so that students don't view inappropriate things, so I would explain to them the importance of such things and hope they understand instead of always complaining about it.  I know some teachers have programs that allow them to connect all the computers to theirs, so they can see each student's screen.  This helps in computer classes, especially when students are working independently on the internet.   

I would also walk around the classroom, trying to be involved in what my students were doing.  If I felt one of my students was in danger, I would probably intervene due to a feeling of responsibility, but I would counsel with the parents and the principal to decide on the best method.

No comments:

Post a Comment